1990 for all new pools or modified pools.
1991 retroactively for existing pools.
All new pools. All existing pools where children under 6 occupy the home.
Pool fencing or walls. Key operated, motorized safety covers. Self-closing/latching rear doors.
- 5 foot minimum (4 ft. fences existing prior to May 4, 1990 are grandfathered in).
- No gaps or openings larger than 4 inches. Horizontal bars must have a minimum separation of 45 inches.
- Wire mesh pool fence or chain link fence shall have a maximum opening of 1-3/4 inches measured horizontally.
- 5 foot minimum height.
- Pool fence latch Must be self-closing & self-latching & lockable. Latches a minimum of 54 inches above ground.
- Must open outward away from pool.
- Pool fence gates over 4 feet must be padlocked if not self-closing/latching.
- Bedroom windows equipped with latch must be 54 inches above floor.
- Other windows latched or secured to prevent opening more than 4 inches may be used or screwed-inplace wire mesh screen.
- Windows less than 60 inches above pool deck and within 5 feet of waters edge must be tempered glass.
- Doors: self-closing and self-latching with latch at least 54 inches above floor. No pet doors allowed.
Spas and hot tubs 8 feet or less in diameter provided they have an approved safety cover. Above ground pools. Existing pools where children under the age of 6 do not occupy the residence.